Initially, the Nativity Cathedral in Tul’chin as a project of a Catholic
Dominican church with monastic cells was being sponsored by Count Stanislaw
Potocki during 1786-1817. Yet it was in 1832 that Podoliya province got out of
Polish control with the Cathedral being then delivered under the Orthodox
authority. Following the Royal Command they closed "each and every Catholic
monastery in excess and proving neither solid dwelling monks number nor adequate
supplies to perform" at that time. One of the most serious reasons for the State
to cease Dominican monasteries’ activities and to transform these into parochial
Catholic- or even into Orthodox churches throughout Kamenets, Smotrich,
Letichev, Vinnitsa, Bar, Tul’chin, Sokolets, Tyvrov etc. served that of their
active participation under Catholic clergy’s clear leadership in numerous Polish
mutinies within the Podoliya region.
In October 1835 the former Catholic church was consecrated by the Right
Reverend Cyril, the Archbishop for Podoliya and Braclaw as an Orthodox church,
namely the Nativity Church. There was the inscription made on copper plate to
verify this act, which plate has been kept since then inside the Church.
Later on there was the altar sponsored by the Councillor of State's
(Alexander Abaza) widow to be erected within the western chantry chapel and on
the 20th day of August in the year of 1867 this was consecrated in honor of the
As of the year of 1872, there were 928 parishioners of both sexes whom the
Church cared of.
All two-storied buildings belonging to churches, as the decree by the
diocesan authority demanded from October 1st, 1862, had to be delivered with a
half of church’s landed property to accommodate the theological school
transferred from the town of Krutyh.
Picture of 1872, Courtesy by the Austrian
It was commanded in spring of1883 that the church at the school, residing in
one of the back rooms inside the school, should be treated as the "one which
does not meet the requirements due to its disposition and narrowness".
Because of the above, there was the chantry chapel disposed inside the
Nativity Church on November 30, 1883, this being consecrated to honor the Holy
Spirit's Appearance, since the same consecration had been made to the school
church earlier. The parochial school was organized here the same year.
Devine service being carried out inside the great three-altar church until
the year of 1928, when "to satisfy the working people's of Tul'chin wish" the
church was closed as the public worshiping institution, and became a
Under the German-Romanian occupation in Tul'chin (1941-1944) the building was
transformed back into church, but on 8 September, 1945 the Nativity of Christ
Church was again transformed into the municipal theatre and palace of culture by
the Vinnitsa Executing Committee's Decree Nr. 1029, while all the church's
property transferred to the Dormitory Church. Later, the Junior Sporting School
took the possession of this place.
Finally, in 1991, on the 15th day of April the holy church was delivered as
the life-time domain back to citizens-parishioners of the Christ-Nativity Church
by the Executing Committee of Tul’chin People’s Rayon Deputies Council.
Based on the President’s of Ukraine Decree from March 4, 1992, there was the
Command by the President’s of Ukraine Representative for Tul’chin Rayon on
September 8, 1992, Nr.148 to return the remaining adjacent buildings and
quarters belonging to the Church back.
The Holy Synod by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church proclaimed the Tul’chinskaya
Diocese on October 4, 1994; the Church becomes an Orthodox Cathedral
On July 20/3, 2004 the altar was consecrated to honor the Holy Blessed Prince
Alexander Nevski. There was the altar consecrated inside the second chantry
chapel on November 11/24, 2004 in honor of the Holy Martyr King Nikolai as well
as to honor all Royal Martyrs and Russian Neo-Martyrs.
Russian Neo-Martyrs Chapel Interior of the Cathedral St. Alexander Nevski
Diocese Chronicles of Podoliya (1876), Historical Description of Podoliya
(1891). Subdivisions and Churches within the Podoliya Diocese (1901), State
Vinnitsa- and Khmelnitskyy Regional Statistics- and Data Bases, the National
Ostrovski Library in Khmelnitskyy, the National Vernadskyy Library, special
thanks to the Photo V.A.Vigurxhinskyy archive (Tul’chin).
Ukrainian Church Moscow Patriarchate Tulchin Holy Nativity of Christ Cathedral g.Tulchin strong>